For years, hearing aids have been the device of choice for millions of people worldwide with hearing loss. While they have undoubtedly improved lives, recent technological advancements have sparked a revolution in the audiology landscape. Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning are now shaping the future of hearing aids, transforming these devices into personalised, adaptive, and fully integrated tools for improved communication and quality of life.
Dr Annemarie Lindner AuD, owner and audiologist at Hearlix in Balmain, outlines some benefits of AI in hearing aids:
• Improved Speech Clarity: AI-enabled hearing aids can discern individual voices and prioritise speech in noisy environments.
• Adaptability: Unlike traditional hearing aids with fixed programs, AI-powered devices can learn, adapt, and make real-time adjustments based on the wearer’s environment and preferences.
• Health Tracking: Some smart hearing aids offer additional health tracking features, such as fitness tracking, fall detection, and early warning signs for dementia – acting as an all-in-one wellness device.
• Less Cognitive Load: AI-powered hearing aids can ease the cognitive burden on the brain by clarifying and interpreting sounds before they reach the auditory cortex, making it easier for the brain to process sound without having to work as hard.
• Motion sensor: Detects if the wearer is stationary or moving, plus how noisy the surroundings are.
As AI technology continues making inroads into the hearing aid industry, the possibilities for smart hearing aids are endless. In the years to come, we can see AI being used for biometric monitoring, emotional analysis, predictive health alerts, and even further integration with other smart devices. This is only the beginning. The future looks bright for AI in audiology and those with hearing loss who depend on these vital devices.
“The use of AI in hearing aids not only enhances audibility, sound quality, and listening experience, but is being used to support overall health.”
Dr Annemarie AuD
If you or a loved one have difficulty hearing, see Dr Annemarie Lindner AuD at Hearlix. Whether it’s a hearing test, ear cleaning or assessing your ability to hear in a noisy environment, she’ll help you with your hearing needs.
372 Darling St, Balmain