Darling meets Pushpa Prem from Bark Busters Inner West Sydney to discuss all things dogs and training. Pushpa shares her tips when preparing for the arrival of a baby and tips on what to do when bringing a puppy or dog home.
What are your top tips when bringing a puppy or dog home?
• Address behaviours such as barking, jumping, chewing, and nipping early on, before they become problematic.
• Set boundaries for both children and dogs because often children treat a new puppy like a toy.
• Give your dog a safe space where they can retreat. Just like us they need a place in the home to relax.
• Everyone needs to know the rules and learn how to be consistent when training the family dog.
• Keep an eye on behaviours changing over time as children and dogs grow.
How to prepare for the arrival of a baby
• Look at creating ‘no go’ zones for your dog. Set rules and boundaries and stick to them.
• Buy a doll that looks and sounds like a baby and carry it in your arms. This will help you to see and assess how your dog is reacting to you and ‘baby’.
• Start being ‘baby and dog’ aware as you’ll need to be able to watch both. Any distractions may become a safety issue.
Why do you offer dog training in the home?
Bark Busters is a unique system developed and operating in Australia for 33 years. In-home dog training provides the ideal environment for working on your relationship with your dog because this is where many behavioural issues occur. In most cases, immediate results are achieved in the first hour or two. We use simple dog friendly methods including body language and voice control. We know our system works which is why we give a written life of the dog guarantee.
How to choose a dog trainer that suits you and your family?
• Ask them about their methodology and look for long term results, not short-term fixes.
• Give them a call first and see if you are a good match. You need to feel comfortable asking questions.
• Check they understand your household dynamics and have experience with your current situation.
• Choose a local trainer so they’re easily accessible when you need them.
• Do your research! Read reviews and ask the trainer for examples of their work or case studies.
Check our Pushpa's review here
INNER WEST SYDNEY
1800 067 710